Monday, January 01, 2007

Old Long Since

Auld lang syne

"auld lang syne" literally means "old long since" - but a more idiomatic English translation would be something like "long ago", "days of long ago", "in olden days", or even "once upon a time"..
Wikipedia

New Year’s Day is the time to think about days of long ago. The picture shows my parents and me in 1941. We lived in Syracuse, New York. I believe photo was used for a Christmas card that year.

I still have the chair my mother was sitting in. It has a new slipcover in blue. The slipcover in the old picture was yellow with green vines in a cris-cross pattern. The rug in the left front corner of the old picture now sits on the floor in front of the wing chair in my house. my chair nowI sit in the chair every day while I do The Relaxation Response. I think about my parents every day when I settle into the cushions. My father used to sit in the same chair while he did his daily prayers. .

My son, Davis, has the chair my father was sitting in. He has had it reupholstered in a burgundy color.

The little piecrust table at my father’s left is still with us. It resides behind our bed and holds quilts.

It is the first day of the year 2007.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you keep yours up and we hear what wonderful patterns you are designing. I still think about that afternoon you and I sat outside on Pirate's patio and talked. I enjoyed our conversation.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Hi Christine. I just got home from Mexico a few days ago and took the time to look at your wing chair post. Your chair is wonderful and looks to be quite similar to mine. How lovely that it belonged to your parents. I love the things that were my parents--there seems to be a bit of their spirit hovering about them.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home