Thursday, August 28, 2008

Non-Contiguous Candidates

It just struck me that both candidates for the presidency of the United States were not born in the contiguous 48 states.
John McCain was born on August 29, 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone at Coco Solo Naval Air Station. Barack Obama was born on August 4, 1961 in Honolulu, Hawaii. (Happy August birthdays to both of them.) McCain is older than I am and Obama is the same age as my oldest son.

Today is an historic day with the nomination of the first African-American presidential candidate by a major political party. I am so amazed and delighted.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gustavo Ferreira said...

O brasil acompanha a eleição dos EUA.

Abraco e belo blog!

http://osbosques.blogspot.com/

11:32 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

It is a happy day.

I just wish that we in the U.S. didn't have a de facto "one drop" rule which means that Obama will forever be thought of as a "black" man despite the fact that his mother was "white". (Moms don't count, I guess.) We are a nation with a sick obsession with skin color.

11:21 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Yes, it is sad that skin colour is such an (essentially unimportant) issue.
I feel the counterpoint choice of a woman for VP in the other camp, to be a cynical strike for the same type of issue.


But then, I am very cynical, & deeply mistrustful of all politicians.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home