Saturday, November 06, 2010

They dragged me out of the house

And I had a great time.

My son and his two boys called and said they were coming over today to take me out to lunch. Davis said he thought I might be feeling a little lonely because it was Robert’s birthday. What a fine idea. I didn’t dress up because I thought we would just go someplace on the island, but they had better plans.

I’ve been complaining because my homemade bread has not been up to par. I thought it was probably because I’d run out of the yeast Robert always used. They took me to WinCo Foods in Antioch to buy some bulk yeast and some bulk flour. I really did not want to go. I’ve never been there. It is a huge warehouse-type store. “We’ll just go in and get the yeast and the flour and come right out,” said Davis.

It wasn’t as awful as I thought it would be. They have rows and rows and rows of bulk bins. (It sure isn’t Trader Joe’s.) We found the right stuff, plus several other irresistible bargains. Davis picked up the tab and bagged the groceries.

Then, we went to Schooner’s Grille and Brewery on Lone Tree Way for lunch. I really like that place and Robert did, too.
Next, we went to See’s Famous Old Time Candies. We had a gift certificate with Robert’s name on it for one pound of candy. It’s fun to “pick out a pound.” I’ve been doing that as far back as the 1940s when I used to go with my parents after church on Sundays in Oakland.
Of course you never can pick out exactly a pound so the lid goes on a little crooked and you have to add a little money.
On the way back to the island, we stopped at the Smith Family Farm in Brentwood to purchase some heirloom tomatoes and other fresh-picked vegetables.

What a good day.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

OH that sounds like a wonderful day - and wonderful family - so glad you got to go and got to shop and eat lunch and all the fun things you did.

I'm so glad they are thinking of you - great family!!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Looks as if I will need to make an appointment on your mad social schedule - when I get well enough to travel again. Good job you did raising your boys to be a caring adults. Happy bread baking. Hugs.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

That is a very thoughtful son you raised. Sounds like you had fun.

5:32 AM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

mmm....See's Peanut Brittle is THE BEST!

Glad you "let" them drag you out! Sounds like you had a great time.

Hugs~

5:51 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

It was a wonderful day! So very thoughtful of your guys.

8:31 AM  
Blogger 3anklebiters said...

we are hours from trader joe's and have a couple of winco stores. i really enjoy their bulk and natural food isles, especially the honey. suprise family visits always make a great day.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Lina said...

What a wonderful day! And a wonderful family. You are blessed.

5:07 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

See's Candies...how much of my childhood is wrapped around a box of See's. One year my Aunt and Uncle gave our family a TEN POUND box...oh, my...10 lbs. is a LOT of chocolate. My brothers would poke the bottoms and if it was a fruit flavored cream they would lick their fingers and smear the bottom chocolate and pick another....my Mom caught them at the end of the box.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Hope your bread is all it should be, again!
What a lovely treat, to be taken out by caring family.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

How nice to be surrounded by handsome men treating you to nice things. Glad that you had a special day with those you love to take away some of your sadness.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home