Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Flashback -- Fix the Toys

I unearthed a treasure while cleaning out the bookshelves in the sewing room. It is my all-time favorite book. Fix the Toys by Dorothy N. King, William Morrow and Co., 1944. It has survived my childhood, my children’s, and my grandchildren’s with only few little rips.

Mr. Tippet owned a big toy store. One day Mr. Tippet said, “I think I need more toys.” He made a long list of toys and mailed the list to the factory. After a long wait, the toys arrived. The first box contained all kinds of games, balls and toy boats. When he took the cover off the next box, he was surprised to find each toy had no head. He said, “Oh, I am afraid all these toys are broken. I do not know what to do!”
The next crate contained many different heads. (The cardboard heads in the book are in a paper crate pasted on a page.)
Mr. Tippet picked up the first toy. He said, “I do not know which head to put on it.” The book said, “You find the right head and fix the toy.”
The sailor head slipped right into the slot.
This game goes on with a teddy bear, a Chinese doll, a clown, a bunny, a wooden soldier, a fancy doll, and at last an Indian doll. Mr. Tippet was not puzzled by the last doll because there was only one head left.
Mr. Tippet put all the toys in a new showcase.

Finding the book really brightened my day.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

What a treasure that book is!! How wonderful that you still have it. I would have just loved a book like that too! I really liked those old illustrations. It took me right back to being about 4 years old, & being in bed with my grandmother while she read to me.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Oh goodness, I am having a childhood flashback.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home