Friday, March 07, 2008

Inspiration from the Past and Present

Years ago I bought the book The House Book by Terence Conran. It cost $35 in 1976 and that was a lot of money back then, but nowadays you can buy it used for under $1. I’ve found good ideas from the book for my house over the years.

One room caught my fancy way back then. It showed a black rubber studded floor. The floor had little raised “coins.”
The picture caption said, “… Tough studded rubber flooring looks attractive and makes sense in a room that has access to the garden.” I tucked that image away in the back of my mind.


Just the other day, I came across Cathy Vigor’s blog. She took her readers on a tour of her studio in the Pendleton Art Center in Ashland, Kentucky. (Click on her name and visit her blog and studio, you’ll enjoy the visit.) She included a photo of the hallway outside her studio. I really liked the bight yellow walls and the cobalt blue door trim.
Yesterday, we went looking for flooring at Lowe's. I didn’t see anything that made my heart go pitty pat. Installation costs were high, even for moderate priced flooring, because of the unusual triangle shape of my small office/designing area. We were just on the way out of the flooring department when I saw a display of coin-studded PVC garage flooring.
Cobalt blue! It will look good with lemon yellow walls.

It’s called Flexi-Tile. It is rather pricey, but we won’t have to pay for installation because it snaps together with a rubber mallet. Cutting all the angles may be a bit tedious but I am sure we can do it. It is not glued to the floor so if we make an error we can pull it up and try again.

I found two websites with more information than Lowe's had available. The manufacturer is in Kansas City, Missouri, and in Ireland. I ordered it today from a Texas dealer. Next, I have to find the perfect paint. I should have the room painted by the time the tile arrives.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Collagemama said...

How do you clean it? Vacuum? Mop?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

They say broom, mop, or vacuum. We will see how it goes.

6:32 PM  
Blogger froghair said...

how exciting that must be for you -- to have kept that image in your mind for all those years, and then in this lovely space you are designing, to have the perfect opportunity to use it! also, to have that "aha!" moment when the look of your room comes together (even if only in your mind).

7:44 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Decorating is always exciting. Looks very practical & should clean easily.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home