Friday, September 05, 2008

Flashback Friday -- Harry S Truman

Sarah Palin spoke of Harry Truman, Roosevelt’s vice president, in her speech at the Republican convention Wednesday night. She said, "Long ago, a young farmer and haberdasher from Missouri followed an unlikely path to the vice presidency. A writer observed: 'We grow good people in our small towns, with honesty, sincerity, and dignity.' I know just the kind of people that writer had in mind when he praised Harry Truman."

I found it very odd that Palin used Harry Truman as her v.p. example. Truman was vice president for less than three months. He became president when Roosevelt died on April 12, 1945.

I have a minor connection with this bit of history. My father, Davis Romine, was the Director of New York State’s Department of Commerce in 1944. He was involved in (lent to) the Thomas E. Dewey presidential campaign. Dewey was governor of New York.
Dewey was a “liberal” Republican candidate running against Roosevelt and Truman. I’ve been told (but I don’t have the photo to prove it) that I sat on Dewey’s lap for a publicity photo. I was a cute little toddler at the time.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Gerrie said...

You are bringing back memories to me. I grew up in upstate NY as a liberal Republican. Our family loved Dewey. I found it strange when she referenced Harry S Truman, too. Because, I don't think she is any thing like Harry. He would never mix religion and politics as she has. Sorry, I could go on and on.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Interesting times, both past and present. Unsettling times.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Del said...

Maybe Palin has thoughts of becoming President - as Truman did - in a few short months. The thought makes my blood run cold and my stomach rock. I don't know where this country is going. And I am shocked that some women feel that any woman on the ticket is better than none.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Interesting connection to Dewey. I remember my dad read a book about Truman one summer at the beach when I was growing up. Which is just a weird memory, I guess.

5:38 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

What a shame you don't have a picture!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

It's important to remember the many times VPs have quickly become president.

Truman was a hero to my parents. The decisions he had to make upon becoming president chose the course for the world in our lifetimes.

Often this year I've remembered my mother explaining to me in the Sixties that Adlai Stevenson was too eloquent and smart to ever be elected. What similar choices we have now.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Canadian, I have been hearing some very scarey reports about Palin. Understandably, there will be pros and cons about your candidates, but these reports....make my blood run cold as well. Angelmingo

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home