Thursday, March 04, 2010

Liz said I was a perfect 10

For the last 15 years I’ve been wearing Liz Claiborne jeans, dress slacks, and nice cotton black, khaki and navy blue wash pants. It has been easy shopping for them. I just headed for the size 10 rack and pulled out the colors and styles I wanted. I didn’t even have to try them on. A year or so ago the brand discontinued my favorite jeans – “Classic Fit.” I bought other size 10 Liz jeans but they had low-slung waists and when I wore them I felt as if my pants were falling off. Most of the new jeans had spandex added. They had an odd streaky appearance and didn’t look or feel like real denim.

My stock of classic jeans began wearing thin. (It was always the left knee that went first.) I was down to one decent pair without a rip last month. I hate to shop so I tried L.L. Bean mail order. They had “classic fit” jeans made of real denim. The problem was my ego. I’ve felt smug that I was a size 10 at my age. However Bean’s measuring chart let me know that I’d been fooled all these years.

I bit my tongue and ordered the gigantic size from Bean anyway. The jeans arrived Monday. I tried them on. They fit perfectly. I laid them out on top of my size 10 Claibornes. They were exactly the same size. Liz had lied to me.

You know, if Claiborne still had the classic fit jeans that I loved I would buy them instead of the perfectly fine Bean jeans because I would be a size 10 again. Oh the vanity.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger black bear cabin said...

i hate buying jeans...i have to try every pair on...i have a small waist and wide hips, so its hard to find a fit. (not to mention all pants sizes are created equal)
glad you found a new pair that fit...and as for the size...tear the tag off! :)

11:56 AM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

i meant to say NOT all pants sizes are created equal.....doh! :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Christine you will always be a 10, no matter what the size charts say! And what fun to say you wear Bean Jeans...Mr. Green Jeans?...No, Bean Jeans.

I Spy a Stephanie creation on the right side of your table...and is that real wood flooring below the table?? Looks wonderful!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Thanks, Vicky.
Yes, that is Steph's "Baby Carriage" sculpture next to the jeans.

And we do have real wood floors in the house. It is cheap pine and it has worn well since we built the house in 1983. (They told us it would not work, but it did.)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

You are so funny. I know exactly what you mean though. Why should I buy extra large in Japan when I can be a medium or even a SMALL in the States.
What are the stores doing to the Classic Fits? I wasn't able to find my favorite jeans last summer either.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Bev C said...

Oh you made me have a little laugh with this post. Why don't clothes sizes remain the same. I can't see how some people enjoy shopping for clothes. Enjoy your jeans.Happy days.
Bev.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Wilma Lee said...

That's funny!!! I still love jeans, but I found that the older I get, the more I like stretch fabric, lol

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Carolyn-What Life Dishes Out said...

This is hilarious! It's true designers know exactly what they are doing when they cut those sizes generously!

Remember, though that it's only a number, just like age!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Roman reigns said...

I actually like this was a quality material. I recommend you to submit blogposts even more frequently. This way,with this kind of a blog I think you might rank higher in the search engines. I also subscribed to your RSS feed. Continue this great work! Blue jeans pants

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home