Wednesday, July 28, 2010

California Gold Bricks

These are my favorite cookies. I’ve been making them since the 1950s and I’m still using my mother’s yellow Pyrex bowl. The recipe is very simple but I’m putting up lots of pictures to encourage you.

1 can sweetened condensed milk (NOT plain condensed milk). It is very thick
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 package of honey graham crackers, crushed (not the whole box)

UPDATE March 24, 2012
It seems the graham cracker companies have changed their packages. They weigh less than they did in 2010. Now I use one package plus two (2) more whole crackers. This is a bother, but a new necessity.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

I put two or three graham crackers at a time in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Pour the graham crumbs in a bowl with the chocolate chips. Stir them together.

Pour and scrape in the sweetened condensed milk into the bowl. It is very hard to get all the stuff out of the can because it is so thick.

Stir to mix thoroughly. It is challenging to get it mixed. Spread the mixture evenly in a 8” x 8” ungreased glass pan. I’ve tried greasing the pan or lining the pan with aluminum foil but the bricks are tough to get out, so I just know that I have a big job ahead when I make these.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the mixture is lightly golden brown around the edges. Put the pan on a rack to cool. When it is cool enough to touch gingerly, it is time to cut around the edges.

I use my Aycock spatula to do this loosening. It is the perfect tool for getting between the cooked mixture and the edges of the pan. Our family had several of the spatulas because my father printed the company’s catalogue in the 1950s and they were given to him after they were photographed. I looked the company up on the web and was pleased and surprised to see they are still in business HERE. I use my spatulas practically every day for spreading peanut butter or mayonnaise or jam. I can’t imagine living without them.

After you have loosened the edges, go away for a while. You have to wait until the chocolate chips have solidified a bit before you can cut them into squares with a sharp knife. After they are cut I use my Aycock spatula to pry the individual bricks out of the pan.
I think I had better invite someone over for cookies. I plan to take a few on a plate when I go over to the church for a meeting tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Those look so good, and simple. Thanks for sharing. You didn't need to put up pictures to get me hooked - just put chocolate chips in something and I am ready to eat it.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Wilma Lee said...

I will have to try those. Could I use the low fat graham crackers?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Yes, I used low-fat graham crackers because that's what I had on hand. I did not taste any difference from the old days.

6:37 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

What about a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the bottom, or even a piece of waxed paper would do. We've found both of these to be wonderful solutions and can't believe it took all these years to figure out that you can bake with it!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home