Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Spill cleanup (not oil)

Yesterday evening, I was searching the spice shelf looking for paprika for my beef stroganoff dinner. The spices were all jumbled up and I could not turn the little Lazy Susan amidst the teetering towers of jars and containers. Robert’s storage “system” didn’t make any sense to me. I decided to do a quick cleanup and sort out the spices. I found lots of strange things that I probably will never use. I threw away many bottles and boxes. I had to use my dustbuster to vacuum out the cupboard.

I noticed that I’d spilled some stuff on the floor in the process, so I grabbed some damp paper towels and got down on the floor. My first swipe came up blue-green. Then I noticed spots all over the WHITE floor. Every time I used more damp paper towels they turned blue-green. I saw blue-green foot prints all over the floor. I realized a package of food coloring stuff had fallen out when I cleared out the cupboard. Lucky for me only one little bottle had lost its contents.

Down on my hands and knees with a bowl of water and several sponges I started a serious cleanup. I finally took off my shoes so I would not add to the mess (duh).

I never did find any paprika so I just added extra pepper to the stroganoff. I had a late dinner. The cupboard is rather bare now but I can turn the Lazy Susan around and see what I have.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

I think someone needs to invent a really good system for storing spices. I can never find what I am looking for.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I have mine alphabetized on a shelf that has steps. It gets out of order and often needs a reorganizing - like now!

11:31 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The other day several times, spices fell out of the cupboard when I opened the door - time to reorganize - the food color is in another color - so hopefully I won't have footprints on the floor.

Good to hear from you.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Well, the paprika doesn't have a long shelf life, so it is probably time to get a new bottle/can anyway. I don't know about food coloring. I threw mine out when I realized it had all dried out in about 1985! Good thing the green didn't also dye your floor.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

thats funny...little green foot prints wondering around your kitchen.

10:11 AM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

Good reminder, I should clean out the spice cupboard too. I think I go in spurts...I use lots of one spice and then years can go by until I want it again....I have a QUART bottle (half full) of red food dye....better not let THAT fall!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

I just left comment about Gom & his 'tidying' of my spices. I can never find them afterwards. Nor can I find my comment!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Oh, dear, Father's Day has probably been rough for all of you. I hope the happy memories of past celebrations have been helpful. I think of you so often during the day and hope you are doing okay. AND that you will be blogging again soon. Love, Del

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home