Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bye-bye blackberries

There were overgrown blackberry bushes along the back of my property early this week. I heard the sounds of a backhoe in the distance and knew it was going to be bye-bye blackberries very soon.

I decided to pick some berries before they disappeared.

This is a little early in the season to pick berries but I was able to grab some. The bushes were so bushy it was hard to reach in for the ripe berries without getting scratched.

A drainage ditch runs along behind the bushes and it has to be cleaned out so the water will keep flowing to the pump station. If the water is not pumped out, the island would flood from the inside. The local levee improvement district – BIMID – does my area every five years. At least it is not nesting season for the birds right now.
My bowl wasn’t too full.
I decided to cook up some refrigerator jam. I just winged it. I added a little sugar (maybe ¼ cup) and heated it up in a pot. I stirred and stirred while it simmered on the burner for almost an hour. It is delicious! It tastes so good on toast. It won’t last long.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

The blackberries are a never-ending battle here too. Love the berries, hate the bramble. Ray was talking about renting a goat! Apparently they will eat the canes right down to the ground. But I wonder what else they will eat.

11:23 AM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

well i hope they didnt tear them out completely...that would be a shame :( they certainly look delicious!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Not to mention that they are often accompanied by poison oak!! I do love wild blackberries. Found a couple of bushes across the street from us.

12:43 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Our crop of blackberries is small this year - lots of berries, but small ones. We might pick some - the jam is kind of tempting me.

3:00 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

We've "borrowed" goats for the brambles. Interestingly enough, they prefer the berry brambles to anything else!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home