Monday, November 15, 2010

Ladybugs, again

As faithful as the swallows of Capistrano or the Monarch Butterflies in Pacific Grove, ladybugs are returning and gathering in my house this time of year.


They are not welcome. I have to get out the dust buster and vacuum the walls in the dining room almost daily. These "ladybugs" are actually Asian Lady Beetles, according to the University of Kentucky. You can read about their swarms here.
They usually arrive at the end of October, appropriately dressed in orange for the season. I wrote about them in November of 2007 (see post) and they are here again.
Please fly away home.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Gerrie said...

They are kind of pretty. Have you made a lady bug paper pieced block?

3:22 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

I love their colors, but I am not fond of them.

My dear cousin Judy gave me a very nice pin in the shape of a ladybug. I won't wear it, but because she gave it to me I don't want to throw it out.

I have no plans to design a ladybug pattern (round would be hard anyway).

3:31 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We used to have those in N. CA (near Eureka) they nested in the attic and walls, under planters, in nooks and crannies - and came out in swarms in the spring too - we had to shake out our beds before getting in - because those little buggers BITE - and hard.

We vacuumed and swept and swooshed for days - I can't say as how I miss them.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

I echo Pieceful's comment - those suckers bite.

I once walked through a local place called the ladybugs' winter retreat.

Never again!

12:54 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

they are pretty, but what a pain! sorry you have to deal with that every fall, you think they'd learn :)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home