Sunday, March 04, 2007

A Great Little Boy and a Grand Weekend

Of course he is great – he is our great grandson. Joey’s sixth birthday was Saturday. (I became a grandmother at 39 and a great grandmother at 60.) We went to Santa Rosa to drop in and see him for a quick visit. He played a few games of chess with his great grandfather, Robert. He showed us his skateboarding skills. He is delightful.
His dad and mom (Joseph and April) are very proud of him. He is smart, polite, and interested in everything.
We stayed overnight at the Flamingo Hotel. It is an interesting place with wings of rooms radiating out from a central circle.
I used the Flamingo’s circular “track” around the swimming pool for my walking. Yes, I am being so good and continuing my program.
On our way home we visited our old house. It’s still there and in good repair. It was the first house we ever owned.
I am very proud of this sign “Olive Park Historic District” because I helped preserve the neighborhood. In the 1970s I fought City Hall and won! The city’s General Plan called for apartment zoning in the neighborhood – even in the park. Most of the old houses were built prior to 1906 and survived the big quake. The park was created by the neighborhood in the early 1900s. The neighbors got together and bought the land when apartments were being planned for the site way back then. Luther Burbank worked with the neighbors and supplied plants for the park. It was Santa Rosa’s first park. I told the city that Olive Park was once on the right side of the tracks, but now was on the wrong side of the freeway. Many good things happened after the city recognized its historic value.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I love the Flamingo. I didn't know that you had lived in Santa Rosa before. A great grandmother - wow!!!!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Oh, wow - he's a marvelous-looking young man! I loved the flamingo sign, of course, being a great fan of kitschy things.

Your old house is beautiful. It must have been the very devil to maintain, but I quite envy it. Was it in the neighborhood that you helped to preserve?

Razing the old houses would have been a sin. I'm glad you helped to save them.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Winsome. That's the adjective I was looking for. Your great grandson has a winsome smile.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I love the detail on the front porch of your old house, that circle is great! Thank you for the link to Butler, I had never heard of him, so it was nice to add a little more knowledge to the ole brain.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home