Thursday, April 10, 2008

Debbe took the Queen

Debbe Holeman came by our place today and captured a bee swarm (including the queen, we hope). Debbe runs a “bee rescue” service in our area. Her business name is Knightsen Honey Company. Her business card says, “beeyond organic honey.” I like that.

Robert heard a lot of buzzing in our holly bush (ilex vomitoria) by the front porch a day or so ago. He looked around our property and spotted a good sized swarm at the back of our lot next door.
Debbe came and vacuumed up the swarm. We were not having any problems with the bees, but she promised to give them a good home.
Thanks Debbe (yes, that's how she spells her name).

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

I am glad it was not me who had to deal with them!
What a good idea to give them a uselful home.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

"ilex vomitoria"? What an incredibly unpleasant name. The ilex part is holly, I know that, but I wonder what the back story is on the "vomitoria" part.

Good for you for choosing to save the bees, rather than empty a can of Raid or worse (gasoline and a tossed match) as many would have done.

I've tried to teach my kids about helper bugs, and bees are right at the top of the list of insect friends.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home