Sunday, September 07, 2008

You only get one chance to make a LAST impression

Isn’t this a gorgeous piece of fabric? It’s called “Imperial Garden” by Michael Miller. I have three yards.
I bought it because it was so similar to the small print I used for Kate in my Kate & Friends pattern. It is a much larger print -- full-size for a real human being.
I don’t know why I bought it. Perhaps a dress, but we never go anywhere special.

Now, my 50th high school reunion is coming up. I want to make a good impression. I’d love to wear a dress like Kate’s, but strapless dresses are not for me at this time in my life. I am still slim enough to wear a long sheath, but I can’t decide on the bodice design. I’ll have to go out looking for patterns right away. I hope my friend Yvonne (a seamstress) has some open time between now and October 10.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

The last time I saw my classmates I looked like this:


Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Gerrie said...

Mr C's 50th is next week-end in Ft. Wayne, IN. It is not my reunion and I don't know what to wear!

I can't get any idea from him about what types of events we will attend.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

You aren't so changed. Something tells me that your classmates won't have trouble recognizing you.

That is a stunning piece of fabric! I think you're right to stick with uncluttered, classic lines for the dress and allow the fabric to speak for itself.

I don't know how useful it would be to you, but there are websites which have thumbnails of patterns. That might let you get a jump start on looking before you go to the store. Here's one such site:

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/

8:20 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

As lovely today as yesterday.

Don't stress about it too much, will you remember what other's wore after the fact?

I'd do as Tanya suggested, I do all my shopping armchair style, then let my feet take me to the purchase. Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls, they're all there online.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Three yards doesn't seem like very much. What width? What is the repetition? The print is lovely. What type of fabric? This could be really stunning.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Yep, it is a gorgeous fabric. I doubt I could cut it up - that is why I have so much fabric. Besides, if I use it I won't have it anymore!

6:41 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I am a little like Del, I don't think I could bear to cut that up.
Your 'young' photo is lovely.
I am hopeless at recognizing faces of old classmates!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Nancy, Del, and Meggie,
I won't be cutting it up very much. I visited Yvonne today and we worked out how to use most of the fabric for a floor length skirt. We may also get a little top out of the remainder.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

We will definitely need to see the finished product!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home