Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Quilting tools carrier

I made this carrier for my quilting tools back in 1993. I still use it today when attending a quilt class. After schlepping to my first class with my scissors, thread, rotary cutter, needles, pins, etc. in a paper bag, I thought I’d better get organized. The other people in the class had fancy roll-around cases and carts for their tools.

The carrier is approximately 23 inches wide and 17 inches tall when folded in half. I made fitted pockets for scissors, a rotary cutter, and a small ruler and pencils. Along the bottom are miscellaneous pockets for miscellaneous things – thread, thimbles, measuring tape, seam ripper, boxed pins, and other stuff. The pockets have elastic across the tops so the little things won’t fall out easily. I used thick poly batting to provide good padding. I quilted the fold-over part in a large simple grid.
When the pockets are filled with supplies for the class, I fold over the padded top and tuck in a 12 inch quilting ruler and a small, narrow cutting mat. Then the whole carrier can be folded over in thirds.


It sure beats a paper bag.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a clever idea - I need to think about making one of those.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Pearl said...

Oh it's WAY nicer than a paper bag!

Pearl

12:13 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Perfect. I have several, but none as handy as that one.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home