Saturday, September 04, 2010

Four hours to make one sandwich

I was planning to have a delicious roast beef sandwich for lunch -- I had a generous slab of prime rib leftover from Wednesday night’s dinner at Vic Stewart’s.

I mixed up the ingredients for a loaf of bread in the morning, feeling smug about my new-found skill as an artisan. I put the loaf in the pan to double in bulk. It didn’t. It just sat there. Hummmm. I popped it in the oven anyway. It looked pathetic when I pulled it out 35 minutes later. I tried one bite. It was terrible and very salty.

I checked online and learned that too much salt in bread kills the yeast.
I started again. If all else fails, follow the directions. This time I measured the salt – ½ tablespoon. That is 1 ½ teaspoons. My measuring spoon set does not have a ½ tablespoon spoon. The batch doubled in bulk and I had a fine loaf by late afternoon.


I enjoyed a nice late afternoon sandwich.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

8>)

I've made a few loaves which would work well as door stops!

7:21 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I bet the sandwich really tasted good by then. Bread looks wonderful.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Bread is not one of those things that you guess at the ingredients. LOL The sandwich looks delish.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

If all else fails, put on the bifocals to read the directions.

2:36 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

years ago I learned that the ratio of yeast/salt/sugar shouldn't be messed with when making bread. Now what kind of flour & additions (seeds/grains/raisins, etc) is up to me.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Wow, apart from the false start, your loaf looks wonderful. Better late than never!

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home