Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Soft, cozy, colorful

My birthday today was tied up in yarn – Alpaca yarn to be specific. Delicious colors filled all the cupboards and shelves at a surprising store way out here in back of Mt. Diablo. The owners have an Alpaca ranch and a world-wide internet business called Alpaca Direct. Lucky for me they also have a nice little retail store just a few miles down the road from my house.

Brianna and Patricia were very happy to show me all the tempting goods in the shop. Patricia is the store manager and Brianna works in order fulfillment for the internet business. I came in to see if I could learn a new method of casting on. I’ve been doing a simple one that my mother taught me when I was a child. However, after watching a video and having Patricia patiently try to teach me a new way, I decided to stick to my old method. I’ll just try to keep my stitches looser.
Perhaps I can knit a hat or something.

I spent a long time looking at all the yarn. It was hard to make a decision.
I then took my faithful companion out for a treat at Oil Can Henry’s. It was just in the nick of time – the oil was very, very low. The car’s treat cost much more than my yarn purchase.

I’m admiring my lovely new yarn called Dolce. It is a mixture of 55% Alpaca, 23% wool, and 22% silk. I suppose I can make a scarf, but I’d really like to make a mobius strip to snuggle around my neck.
I have a birthday brunch scheduled for Sunday. It’s nice to stretch celebrations out.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

I can almost feel the cozy, soft Dolce yarn around my neck. I like the Moebius Scarf idea.

Happy Birthday!

12:23 AM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Happy Birthday Christine!!!

My fav sock pattern suggested using both needles to cast-on around, then just slip the extra out when you are done. It works great. I was never able to cast on loosely enough, until now.

Now to look at the link the previous commenter posted...I'm so in trouble!

4:22 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Happy Happy birthday my friend!!! What a nice treat - for you and for your "trusty steed". I love the color of the yarn and I agree, a mobius strip would be snuggly and wonderful.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Use your favorite method and cast on over both needles or even use needle(s) a size or two larger to cast on. If you are using both needles just slip one out and commence knitting. If you are using a larger needle(s) then use your smaller needle to knit the stitches off the larger one. Lovely yarn, I'm jealous. Good luck.

6:50 AM  
Blogger wlstarn said...

Happy Birthday!
Great yarn. I have that problem too, where I tend to work very tight. I think Paula's idea of casting on with a larger needle is a keeper.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I can almost feel the silkieness of that yarn. I could not learn that casting on method either. I use the same one my Mom, a prolific quilter, taught me. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Lina said...

Happy happy birthday!!! Stretch it out as long as you can and enjoy every minute of it.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Belated happy birthday wishes.
That yarn looks almost good enough to eat!

1:46 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

I missed your birthday. I was en route from MN back to CA. Happy, Happy Birthday. I hope your birthday brunch was nice on Sunday. I'm intrieged by your mobius strip. Is it a strip or a circle you pull over your head? I hate it when the back of my neck gets cold.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home