Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Yo ho! Blow the fence down

Yesterday, there was a wind advisory for the West Delta. North winds blew at 30 or 40 miles an hour, with gusts up to 50, all night and day. The wind blew my back fence over. It came within two feet of smashing my propane tank and storage shed. I called Troy Wise and he came over and propped the fence up so it would not go any further down.

I was putting together pattern orders to ship out, but I ran out of plastic bags. I started to head for the storage shed where I have a supply. Then I thought, “I’m not going to risk my life going near the falling fence to get to the shed; the orders will have to go out later.”

The wind continued to howl until nighttime.

Today, Troy and his brother came and tore out the fence. He took all the old wood to the dump. I might not replace the fence. Redwood would cost around $2,000, plus the cost of labor. Perhaps I’ll plant fast-growing bushes.

I’m off to the post office to mail patterns.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

Fast growing bushes sound like a good idea ... as long as they aren't going to eventually need a lot of expert trimming.

As I was driving home tonight, I was thinking about how all the winter-related problems (frozen and/or burst pipes) that have ever happened to me, happened when I was living in "warm" places like California (where the pipes under a house burst) and Texas (where I enjoyed a frozen pipe today which meant no hot water in the bathroom ... who needs a shower, right?)

5:32 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

There's always something!! Eek...

6:52 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

what great guys to help you out like that...but are you sure you want to leave it open...then you will have to look at your neighbors unsightly yard (and she'll be the one to find something to complain about) :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm glad you are safe and the fence is down safely. Nice to have friends to help too.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

The back fence doesn't face my neighbor's yard so it will be okay. The bushes can block the street view of my place.
Thanks for helping me think this through.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home