Thursday, January 13, 2011

I found my word for 2011

The word is give.

I pondered all the suggestions you gave me as comments. Thank you. While I was feeling blue and lonely they were encouraging. About a week ago, the thought came to me that to get going I must start giving to others, not waiting for something from outside to perk me up. Ah ha!

I looked on the internet for the meaning of the word give. It has many, many meanings. One struck me: “To contribute generously, fully, and freely.” Others were:

To yield to force or pressure, to relax, to become less rigid; as, the earth gives under the feet.
To become soft or moist. To move; to recede. To shed tears, to weep .To open, to lead. Dedicate; “give thought to” “give priority to” “pay attention to.”
Here is a link to read more definitions: http://ardictionary.com/Give/2066

What a multi-faceted word give is. I think I can give a little something each day. I can give a smile to my irritating neighbor. I can give encouragement to someone who appears unhappy. I can create some patterns and give them away on my blog. I can give to a charity that I admire.

Once I found my word I wanted to make a banner for the wall above my computer. I searched the internet for images representing give.

Most of them looked like begging hands. Then I thought of the old quilters’ symbol – Heart in Hand. I even had a heart in hand pattern from long ago. See it here.

Now I have my new banner up on the wall next to last year’s. (I’ll try to be good this year, too.)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

Lovely. Interestingly, my little banner for my word, "appreciate" also has a heart in hand image on it. Mine is a little tin ornament from Mexico. Happy New Year!

10:25 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great word - and the banner too. Lots to aspire to this year - I know you will be terrific at it.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

A beautiful word with many meetings.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I do like this word for this year. You have picked 2 simple, but bountiful words.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

That works.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home