Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not what I had in mind

When I chose “give” as my 2011 word (see post on January 13) I didn’t mean give to the plumber, give to the carpenter, and give to the insulator.

Warning – ugly pictures ahead

The back stairway rotted away earlier this month. So a carpenter is scheduled to put in a new beam and new stair treads.

While they were inspecting the stair damage and taking measurements, they had to go under the house. In the crawlspace the torn and failing insulation was found. I’ve been calling around trying to get bids for replacing the insulation and re-wrapping the ducts.

And today, my dear little tankless water heater gave me a loud scary signal that it was about to give up. It has been working faithfully since December 1983. That’s a pretty good life for a water heater. Click here.
I’ve been searching for a replacement all day. It seems they don’t make them this small anymore. I know I don’t need more than 76,000 BTUs because the old Rinnai was only 65,800. The new ones are all over 100,000 and that requires replacing the ½ inch gas pipe with a larger one. Big expense!
I think I’ve found one that will work The Eccotemp FVI12LP indoor power vent tankless water heater is available at Sears.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

My grandma used to say - if it isn't one thing, it's another. Guess she had a point there. Hope all is repaired soon and you can find a different avenue to "give".

8:50 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

yikes...when it rains it pours i guess...glad you are getting things taken care of though! sorry about the annoying expenses :(

9:16 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I hate when every thing starts falling apart at the same time. You will get through this. I am impressed with your diligent research!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am impressed at how long you W/H lasted! I hope we can go tank-less for our next one. Can you use the composite 'wood' for the stairs? At least the treads? I wish they made the stuff for underneath parts, they rot first.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gives?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

The economy appreciates your stimulation! Hope you have hot water now.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home