Saturday, May 07, 2011

Camera fix

A blogger without her camera is an unhappy blogger. Last week, as I was hurrying out the door to attend an appliqué class at Queen B’s Quilt Shop, I dropped my camera. The battery door flew open. I was not able to get the little door shut no matter how hard I pushed on it. I searched the web and learned that the battery door weakness was a well-known problem with Nikon Coolpix 990s. I’ve had my camera since 2002 and it’s been a faithful friend. I ran across a website called Stonepics.com that had a repair kit for the door problem.

I ordered it and it arrived promptly. When I screwed it on to the bottom of my camera the door shut tightly, but the camera still didn’t work. I tried brand new batteries. Those didn’t work either.

I panicked. I knew I could not be happy without a camera. I searched around and found a very inexpensive camera called Nikon Coolpix L22. It has 12-megapixel resolution and a 3.6x zoom. It is a basic point and shoot camera for amateurs. I certainly qualify. I ordered it and it should be in my post office box Monday.

In the meantime, I wrote to Stonepics and thanked them for prompt shipping of the kit. I told them that my camera must have other problems than the battery door. Kimsey Fowler wrote back and told me to call him and he would help me troubleshoot the camera. That was nice. I called him today. He had me do several tests. One was to check on the battery connectors (those flat springs). Sure enough, one battery spring was flat down on the bottom of the holder. He told me how to pry it up gently. I did it carefully, using an old metal meat skewer with a bent tip. I put the batteries back in the camera and it worked! I took a picture of the skewer.

Soon I’ll have two cameras. Oh boy!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If your two cameras don't get along, you could send me one...

4:19 PM  
Blogger Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

oh my ... I wish I had known about Stonepix! I had a Coolpix (don't remember the model number) but I just LOVED being able to swivel the screen around .. even backwards! .. to ensure I got the shot framed correctly.

But my battery door became broken also. I had done all sorts of homemade fixes .. that didn't work .. and reluctantly got a replacement camera.

Upon reading your entry about Stonepix, I went looking for my old Coolpix, but I think I must have gotten rid of it a while ago, as it's nowhere to be found.

Dang shame. I really liked that camera.

I'm glad you're getting a replacement PLUS having your original camera in working order!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Shelley,

I think I remember three of us with Nikon Coolpix. We took pictures of each other taking pictures of each other with our cameras at a gathering at your house several years ago. Susan Druding had one first and that's why I bought mine. Did you have the 990, too? See if you have some pictures of that day.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Isn't the internet grand!!

8:35 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Super duper - I too broke the door on my Kodak camera - old old old digital one - but great pictures and I too was able to get a new battery door - amazing what the internet brings us. I have a different camera now, but was sure glad at the time that I found a solution. Enjoy your cameras.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Happy Mothers' Day! Glad your camera story ends happily. I know well that a camera-less blogger is an unhappy blogger!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

What a gratifying post! So glad you will have 2 cameras- all the better to show us your magic quilting and other items.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Sew Create It - Jane said...

How nice to know there are still helpful people in business...sounds like you'll have your pick of cameras for taking pictures!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous nunta interpreti said...

With this L22 you take a very good decision, i have this camera for 5 months and it is very good, you will not be disappointed for sure.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home