Saturday, June 25, 2011

Stairways up, up, up


 The stairways are back. I am very happy and the cats are happy again. All in all it was a very pleasant building experience. The railings will be painted white as soon as the redwood “seasons” a bit. The redwood steps and walkway will be sealed to retain their nice natural color.


The contractor, Delta Pacific Builders, went beyond my expectations and added some extra amenities. I was surprised and delighted. They created a mini deck seating space near the big mulberry tree. It will be a perfect shady spot during the summer.


 I had asked that my old lattice be put up to block my neighbor’s view of my sliding glass door. They did that and then on the last day Dan, the owner, said “You have some extra lattice, why don’t we put some up over head for you.” I thought that sounded like a good idea.

 When I saw overhead completed I exclaimed, “Charming.” This was such a thoughtful gesture. I’ll start growing some vines (probably honeysuckle) up the lattice when the paint dries. The carpenters were very nice guys to have around. They really worked hard every minute they were here. No swearing and cussing. They treated me with kindness and respect.


The back stairs on the house go up to a platform 20 feet or more off the ground. Why?


 Because the electric meter is up there. It is required that PG&E must have access to the meter. Before “Smart Meters” were installed a meter reader used to use the back stairs. Meters in flood plains have to be installed above the potential flood height. This does not make a lot of sense because if the island flooded, the power would be turned off for the entire area. No one would paddle a little boat to my house and turn off my individual hookup.


The platform up high was a perfect place to install a cat door. So the new stairs are for the sole benefit of PG&E and my two cats. I don’t use the stairway at all.

There is a popular quilt pattern called “Stairway to Cat Heaven.” I found it on the internet at this site: http://www.quiltandsewshop.com/product/Stairway-To-Cat-Heaven-Pattern/ I’m not going to make it but I think it is really cute and my cats would appreciate it.

I made two cards to thank the two main carpenters – Lynn and Alex -- for their nice work. I used little log cabin quilt blocks.


Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

wonderful! vines on the lattice will be nice.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Wonderful! What a nice experience.

10:39 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

Your carpenters really made lemonade out of your situation. I love the little sitting area and the lattice--it will be wonderful when you have some honeysuckle growing there ... you might even be tempted to use those stairs yourself ;-)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Wilma Lee said...

That looks so nice and inviting.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Sophie,

You are so right. I was hoping for (at best) a clean, utilitarian fix, but they exceeded my expectations.

Scroll on down the blog to "Rotten luck" to see the beginning of the project.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Tanya Brown said...

Criminy. If it isn't one thing, it's another. The finished project looks good though, doesn't it?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

What fun spaces have been created from a diggity-darn home repair!

3:09 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

How nice to be done - and what a lovely new space for you. I'm glad they treated you so well.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

How nice to read of pleasant and obliging workers. Too rare these days.
Love the little card of thanks.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Sparky said...

Really my dear you are an expert in paper piecing..I am looking for some ladies to do a tut for beginners in the upcoming months...I manage a blog of paper piecing enthusiasts among other things...please connect if at all interested ...

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home