Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Rotten luck

 My contractor was here this morning to start the stair replacement project. After the back stairs were removed, they found lots of rot in the foundation. Nerts (my grandmother’s strongest swear word).

It’s the main foundation that holds up my house. The huge glulam beam (7” x 16”) rests on top of a driven pile. The house is elevated because the island is a flood plain. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping the rot does not go too far under the house.

I love building projects, but repair projects – not so much. This morning I read about Terry’s new studio project on her blog. New building is exciting. Repairs are just preserving what you have.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

O dear. My heart just fell when I saw that photo. Good luck with this.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Dry rot is a nasty thing to find. Better to find it and get it fixed, however!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger ewecan said...

We had to replace our deck two years ago. The plan was to repair, but too much rot to be safe. Ours didn't extend to our foundation. Hope yours does not either.

1:14 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

Oh crap (a strong swear word of my own ;-) I hope you have seen the worst of the damage and it can be pretty easily replaced--fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

When we were replacing the windows in our house the carpenter found dry rot in the foundation under the door. I wailed. OH NOOOO! He said, "Ahh, this is easy to fix." and it was. Hope yours is too.

3:12 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh rot!!! Hope this is easy to repair - and all is back to normal soon.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Would your rather play Solitaire or deal with rot? Home ownership seems like one of those game where you only get to go through the deck once.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Beka and Jason Haché said...

One thing about rot is that there is usually more than you initially find. The good news is that it's probably not as bad as you think. Here's hoping and praying it's fixed in a jiffy.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As I recall all the years we worked together, "Nertz" was just about your strongest swear word too.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

No, no, no. Nasty nasty stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We had it in our old Victorian farm house, you really don;'t want to know.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home