Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Hobbit birthday

roses f rom Robbie
 I like the tradition of Hobbits giving presents to others on their birthdays. My day worked out like that yesterday. I listed my Vintage Singer 101 sewing machine on my local FreeCycle on Tuesday. Twenty people e-mailed responses. It was hard figuring out which one to pick. Yesterday, a nice woman came to get the heavy machine. She brought her 20-year-old son to help carry the cabinet downstairs and out to her SUV. She has a modern machine at home so we had a short lesson on how to operate an old Singer. She told me that her grandmother has made quilts. I showed her how the free-motion foot worked as well as the regular foot. I gave her the cola tin too. She really liked the knee-lever.
FreeCycle is such a good organization. Check it out here. There is probably one in your area. This past month I’ve given away chicken wire and old rabbit ears antenna and converter box. I found an announcement on FreeCycle about a nearby e-waste event so I was able to take my old TV to that instead of the dump. Today, a teacher is coming to my house to pick up a box of yarn for class projects. She asked for yarn on FreeCycle and I responded.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Del said...

Way to go, Christine! I did FreeCycle for a short time some years ago and found it was a good feeling to find new homes for things I no longer needed. But I got busy and let it drop. Time now, in my advancing years, to get back to unloading things others can use. Thanks for the reminder.

2:01 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Happy belated birthday - and what a wonderful way to celebrate. I think it is the best feeling to give something to someone and be glad to do it.

In the summer we often put stuff at the end of our driveway with a free sign on it and everything happily goes to a new home.

6:28 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

love freecycle. we pay for our garbage by the pound and don't have a vehicle to take big things to the thrift store. freecycle is the way to go.

1:11 AM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

its always good to share your unused items with someone else! i know i could have sold jordyns baby things, but instead, i passed them on to new parents who could use a break in the cost of baby supplies! Good things come around~ cheers!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Cute little sewing machine! I wish we had a FreeCycle in Japan. Was it really your birthday?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

I love re cycling. I am always glad if I can give something, and likewise tickled when I find something.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home