Friday, September 21, 2007

Flashback Friday -- Frances

This damaged photo is a picture of my mother, Frances Creech Chapin, as a little girl. When I scanned the photo I realized that I still have the drawer-table in our dining room. We keep our bills in the drawers.

My mother was born in 1910 and she looks about eight years old in the photo. So circa 1918. I have many photos of her with big bows in her hair.

She told me she was a "goody two shoes" (her words) throughout her childhood. She could not understand my rebellious ways. She said she just found it so easy to do what she was told. However, she was not totally a blah person. She began Syracuse University at 16 and graduated with two degrees three years later. One was a Masters of Science in English. That was odd, but true. She was a wonderful actress and taught speech and diction at the University. She was also a "campus beauty" according to a big spread in the Syracuse newspaper. She was engaged to a doctor and then met my father. He was a penniless salesman. She broke off her engagement and married her true love Davis Romine.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm trying to guess what era the photo is from. The styles she's wearing should be a dead giveaway.

That's a marvelous photo.

10:04 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

That is such a gorgeous photo! I love old pics like that, & have one of my paternal Grandmother at 16. Lovely story of your mother.

2:42 PM  
Blogger froghair said...

I came to your blog looking for quilts, but found this lovely photo and story. My grandmother who was born one year earlier than your mother -- I have a scanned image of her wedding photo -- I should post it and tell her story too. Thank you, thank you for this.

1:14 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

Yes....i agree with froghair.....i was perusing your site for quilts, etc...and loved this blog and photo about your mom. i think i will have to copy your flashback friday and do the same on my blogs....hope you dont mind. ;)
thanks for sharing by the way....love the picutre and the story! Your mom has a pretty impressive story for her time! Not many women went to college back then! hurrah for her! and for you :)
cheers~
lisajo

7:20 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Many blogs have Flashback Fridays. I enjoy them because you never know what will come up.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home