Monday, November 26, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks

I was learning new tricks with my new little Janome Jem today. The first thing I did was get a big thread snarl on the underside of my fabric. When I tried to pull the fabric out of the machine I found extra threads coming from below the face plate. “Hum, I guess you have to hold on to the bobbin and needle thread when you begin sewing.” I’ve been doing that for years and years and now I know that new machines require it too.

It was a good lesson. We had to take the whole thing apart to get the threads out of the back of the bobbin area. Now, I’m not afraid of taking the machine apart. I know how it goes back together.

I practiced new stitches and it ran very well. It’s fun.
I went upstairs and told my old faithful Jewel (a Singer 301, two-tone mocha and cream) that she would not be abandoned. The little Jem does a fine job with fancy things, but the good old 301 has the most beautiful, even straight stitch in the world.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

Oh what fun, getting to know a new machine. I have a Brother I got for a song at a garage sale, & I haven't even had a play, except to clean it, & check that it works.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that way about my old Bernina. It does a 1/4 inch seam beautifully.

7:19 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Seems some machines are more demanding about holding your threads than others. I had gotten out of the habit with my small Janome (2003P) but my large Janome makes me mind my p's and q's!

My issue with the Jem is that I was never happy with the 3 selectable stitch lengths. Is that still the same? I'm in the market for 2 for my girls.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

The new Jem Platinum has almost infinite stitch lengths and widths. I have the 720 with 20 possible stitch designs, but the 760 has 60 stitches to chose from. Both have the big variety of lengths and widths. Check them out. I did not feel the need for sixty stitch designs so I chose the 720.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home