Thursday, November 01, 2007

Walking Journey Journal Quilt 2007

Click on the picture for more detail.

My walking journey started February 2, 2007. The preliminary quilt sketches based on my blog and my life fit right into the Journal Quilt 2007 project.

In the lower left hand corner of the quilt there are doctors examining my left foot. (The people on the quilt are paper pieced from my pattern, Kate & Friends.) Prior to my walking journey, five doctors had diagnosed my painful foot problem as a neuroma (2003), nail fungus (2005), and finally PAD requiring immediate surgery (January 2007). Walking is an alternative to surgery. That is the path I took.

The journey started just outside my front door on our short gravel lane. The winding path on the quilt is an actual photo of the pea gravel, and the foot prints on the path are my Nike Free® shoe soles printed on cloth.

The gray haired man with the big stopwatch is my dear husband (and coach) Robert. He has been with me every step of this journey.

A redwing blackbird (Western bi-colored blackbird) appeared in our neighborhood in March. His call “Lucky meeeee” was a cheerful accompaniment early on. The blackbird has a bead eye. After a few weeks, our cat Blackie appeared at the side of the lane. He began walking with us on a regular basis.

The woman with the red hair and the purple tights is my long-time friend and practitioner Philadelphia. She has sent love to me all along the way.

About halfway into the journey our fluffy white cat Feather began showing up on the lane. Blackie and Feather finally figured out our routine. Now they travel a bit and sit down and wait for us to catch up. Our 15-year-old cat Aucuba tried walking with us a few times, but she decided to wait on the top step and watch our progress. The three cats are still delighting me on my walks. Their images are printed on fabric circles.

Quilting around the curving path reminded me of my daily laps. By mid-September, 2007 my foot had improved impressively. I am no longer an invalid. Healing is shown by the lovely green rising above the red pain at the bottom (fabric by Frieda Anderson). At the top right of the quilt I’m waving thanks to my wonderful support team. The journey continues.

Other Journal Quilts I’ve found online today:


Virginia Greaves

Wendy L Starn

Lynn Majidimehr

Gerrie Congdon

Heidi Miracle-McMahill

Terry Grant

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

May I be permitted a war whoop? Woohoo! I was just about to say "It's November 1! Where's Christine's journal quilt!" No sooner had I gone to your blogspot page than there it was.

I'm so sorry to hear about the foot pain. The quilt is right on point, though. Not only does in encapsulate part of your personal journey but it uses the Little People which you've developed. And the road - don't all of them wind a bit and take us to parts unknown?

Thank you for sharing it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Corky said...

What a great quilt and an even better story - I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. You can find my journal quilt on my blog
http://fiber-thoughts.blogspot.com

12:30 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

What a wonderful quilt to capture your journey of conquering your foot pain. I love the story it tells.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sandra Wyman said...

What a wonderful idea and a great quilt! Glad you have made it through, and this will be the best reminder of that!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I see a familiar bead - Hee! I love the way you create people.

4:59 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Great job Christine!

Thanks for the various other links too, it was fun looking thru them.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Great quilt and I love the story to go with it.

8:29 AM  
Blogger jpsam said...

Great journal quilt and interesting story! Thanks for looking at mine and for the kind comment. There is a story about mine and what a good idea to post about it. Will do.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home