Sunday, April 13, 2008

Labor of Love

This darling little guy came to help me yesterday. Nowadays he isn’t little anymore. But he said:

“You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there…”
(Carole King You’ve got a Friend)

My oldest son Robbie came when I needed big help in the final stages of sewing studio project. (He doesn’t go by Robbie in the real world, but it’s hard for a mother to switch to calling him Rob or Robert after 47 years – happy birthday.)

This was the disaster area he confronted when he arrived.

He got right to work. He was so patient with me and brought me items to sort one by one. This was a very tedious process.

Robbie worked all day in the heat. Wouldn’t you know it was the hottest day of this year (over 80 degrees)? He just goes and goes and goes until the job is finished. We did take a break for fresh baked bread with strawberry-pear jam, then some lemon meringue pie from our neighbor Mary Mac, and later for Robert’s (my DH’s) Teriyaki chicken dinner with brown rice. DH and Robbie’s friend Lisa talked about recipes and cooking for most of the day while they stayed out of our way.

But Robbie didn’t want to quit until the sewing area was all clean and arranged just as it was shown on the plan drawing. (See the CONTEST.) He is a marvelous organizer. It was so odd to have my son acting as boss of the whole operation. He was a good boss. He learned the difference between sewing thread, embroidery thread, and quilting thread. I’m sure if you talk to him in the next week or so he will be able to tell you a lot about quilting – fabric, rulers, special scissors, sewing machines, rotary cutters, batting, etc.

It was dark when the room was all put together just as was supposed to be. He checked the plan one final time.
When he finished he said, “You always said you liked hand done presents better than store-bought ones.”

Thanks Robbie.

Love, Mom

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

What a lovely post Christine. How nice that your son could help you, & was so happy to do so!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Del said...

What a guy! He learned from his parents to be a caring, efficient person - you created a treasure!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

How nice for you that your son came over to help. He must know how much your sewing room means to you. Please send Robbie to my house ASAP-(LOL)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Yep. He sounds like a keeper! You done good, Mom.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that is so special.

7:24 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

Your son is wonderful...you did a good job! He is also very handsome :)
Looks like you will be quilting again in no time!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I enjoy time with my son now even more than he was a kid. He has turned into a wonderful, caring, loving adult.

Are you enjoying your organized space? Will it stay that way?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Denise (Nour) said...

What a sweetheart! Can't wait to see the final pics!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Can I borrow him???

1:20 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Wow! What a wonderful thoughtful son! I wonder what mine will be like when he's that age? At 22 he's still a little boy in my book.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home