Thursday, December 11, 2008

Deck the Halls meme

I saw this on Anecdotally Yours.

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? I really don’t know.

Colored lights on tree or white? White lights look like twinkling stars.

When do you put your decorations up? Sometime before Christmas Day.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Roast beef.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child: My mother brought home a scrawny, ugly tree and spent hours on the back deck drilling holes in the trunk and inserting branches she cut off the bottom to make it look perfect. We were living through hard times that year and she got the tree for a couple of dollars.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My parents told me Santa was the “spirit of Christmas.” For years I thought he was a ghost. I was so relieved to find out the truth.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The kids used to open one gift each when they were young.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? First put on the lights, and study it for a few hours to see if they look balanced. Then we put on the ornaments with the smaller ones at the top. One light has to be pointing up at the topper. Spread the red burlap around the bottom of the tree to cover all the plugs and wires. Put the little wooden train on the burlap.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? I live in California and it has never snowed here that I remember.

Can you ice skate? I suppose I could if necessary.

Do you remember your favorite gift? Six hollow rubber baby dolls. My second favorite was a gold-plated cap pistol. My third favorite was a purple knitted mini dress from Joseph Magnin's that my husband gave me.

What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The feeling of good will.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? We call it “Mother’s chocolate angel food dessert.”

What is your favorite tradition? Fresh squeezed orange juice, sausages, scrambled eggs, and coffee cake for breakfast.

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? I really like receiving, but I’m trying to be a grown up and learn to love giving. I do like giving when I can find the perfect present for someone. It doesn’t happen all that often. I don’t like giving when it just means buying something to fill a quota.

What is your favorite Christmas Song? Away in a Manger.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Break up candy canes into small pieces and stir them into Seven Minute icing. Frost an angel food cake with this.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? What else does one do with fondue pots?

You can tag blog friends to Deck the Halls...

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

I'm so glad you did this. I thought about tagging you, but given that you were just sick, decided not to.

You have the most interesting experiences and memories.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I thought Santa was a ghost, too. When a friend told my oldest there was no Santa, my son said, "There has to be. My parents are not clever enough to pull that off." It was first grade.

5:55 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

thank you for sharing your holiday with me :) it was fun to go down memory lane with you. I especially laughed at your recycled presents answer! Every year i get a gift from a particular friend, and its always something beautiful, yet something i totally wont use (all glass teapot...Silver and glass chafing dish...wine bottle picnic holder...to name a few) :(
With a 2 year old and living in the mountains in a log cabin (with limited space)...its also tough to find storage for said items...so they usually get passed right along :) Breakables dont survive well in this house :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I was fascinated with your list!
I might think about doing this, it is all so different 'downunder'.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home