Friday, February 13, 2009

Flashback Friday -- What they wore

Sitting here in my jeans and T-shirt, I ponder the clothes women used to wear.
I wonder if they could ever relax and kick back. Perhaps when they pulled off their corsets with stays and put on a nightgown for bed they could slump a little.
I ran across this fashion spread whilst sorting through some stuff. It was badly water damaged and has a touch of mildew. I sent it off to Newbie Richardson, a restorer. Perhaps she can use it for reference material as she preserves and reconstructs old garments.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What price beauty? Glad we are liberated.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

It doesn't bear thinking about, does it? Apart from the discomfort, those fabrics wouldn't have been washable, and would have taken so much looking after.

3:12 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I remember my grandmother still wore a corset, even when the summer in New Zealand was boiling!
She would have been amazed at my T shirt & comfy jeans!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home