Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Ladies' gowns

I am fascinated by First Ladies. I’ve read many books about and by our country’s First Ladies – Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, Abigail Adams, Rosalynn Carter, Barbara Bush etc. I've read presidential biographies too, but reading about presidential wives gives me a different perspective on their terms.

With only a few days to go until the inauguration of a new president I’m thinking about First Ladies’ gowns. I’ve been searching the web for pictures of inaugural gowns. Two memorable ones stood out:
Mamie Eisenhower’s pink full skirted gown with 3456 pearls (or sequins), and Jackie Kennedy’s sleek satin dress.

Many top notch fashion designers have submitted sketches of gowns they think would look good on the next first lady – Michelle Obama. I decided to play the game too. I had some fun making some small quilted sample gowns for Mrs. Obama.




I wonder if her inaugural gown will look anything like one of these.

If you want to play a fun game: “match historical gowns to First Ladies” click on the pictures below.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger black bear cabin said...

one of my favorite exhibits at Smithsonian,s Museum of American History...was the dresses worn by the First Ladies. I purchased two postcards showing the display of gowns from the 19th Century and gowns from the 20th Century...perhaps ill scan them in and send them over to you to enjoy :) thanks for another fun blog! cheers~ lisajo

5:38 PM  
Blogger Waterrose said...

As always you make some wonderful quilt blocks!

7:03 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

I love your dress design blocks and the quiz was fun . . . even if I only got half of them right ;-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Anya said...

Lovely job with the Michelle Obama gown ideas!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

I took the test only got two right. LOL Eleanor and Jackie.

10:52 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I too, only got 2 correct! It was a fun test though. I love your pieced gown ideas!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Meggie,

I am surprised that you got two of them. You live down under, not in the United States. I would be hard pressed to guess any of your politicians (what's more their wives) pictures. I would recognize a queen or a king or two.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I like that you changed her hair style too. I had to laugh, Bush got a 4 second spot on the news at his 'parting speech' or what ever it is....You can bet it will take about 4 hours to show all of the inauguration evening!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I found your blog through Black Threads..I love your First Lady Gown Paper Pieced blocks well done they are absolutely amazing

10:41 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Christine - I had a reader from St.Petersburg, Russia. today and the referral was Winnowings! Thanks! It is a first for me.

11:35 PM  
Blogger AmyB said...

I just saw a clip of Mrs. O at one of the balls... your block #2 was a pretty good prediction!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Oh my gosh, I love your gown blocks. Well done!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home