Monday, February 16, 2009

Presidential fabric

I bought this fabric a few years ago. It has all the U.S. presidents on it up through George W. Bush.
I want to make a simple wall hanging featuring our new president. (I would have featured John McCain if he had won the election.) I think it will be a memory of the times to be passed down to my great grandchildren. They can say, “Look at this old thing. She lived way back when Barack Obama was president.”

I am searching for a good image of Obama for the quilt. I found this one, but I will have to write to the Wall Street Journal and ask permission to use it.

Every year on Presidents’ Day I feel guilty. I vividly remember the time I cheated in school. I was a goody two shoes and never copied or did anything wrong at school. But, when I was in the eighth grade we had to memorize all the presidents. We were told we would be held back if we did not pass the test. I tried and tried and flunked two tests. My parents were really upset.

I decided to cheat. I wrote the presidents names on the part of my blouse that tucked into my skirt. We wore “full skirts” in those days – two or more yards of fabric gathered at the waist. My skirt had a snap closure instead of a zipper down the back. On test day, I pulled the waistband around so the closure was on my left side and opened the snaps. I copied the president’s names off my blouse. I knew I would pass.

When I arrived home, I told my mother that I was sure I’d finally passed the test. She said we should celebrate by going shopping. We went into the store dressing room so I could try on some clothes. I took off my skirt and there on the blouse were the names. She stared at them, but she didn’t say anything. My cheating was exposed. She bought me a new outfit and we never ever talked about the incident. I think she was relieved that I didn’t have to repeat eighth grade. A conspiracy of silence. It has haunted me all these years.

I found an article about memorizing president’s names in The Washington Post today. Kids have even more names to memorize than I did. I hope they don’t cheat.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

I love your quilt and the picture you picked for Obama .

10:09 AM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

WOW! What a fabulous pixelly yumness of a pic! Please keep us posted on it's progress.

We need not mention your transgression. Your guilt might handily takes care of any need to punish!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Very smart way of getting all those names in one place though. I really like that president fabric and your idea. I hope you get the ok on the picture use.

11:06 AM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

i think we all have a story like that...though no one cares to admit it. Perhaps thats why your mom didnt mention it :)
as for the president quilt...sounds like fun...i look forward to seeing your design when its complete!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

I'm just laughing because I truly believed that JFK would receive the results when we took the President's Physical Fitness test in elementary school. I practiced like crazy on a chin-up bar my dad hung in a doorway so I could meet our president's expectations. I was such a short, wimpy kid, that my effort stunned the PE teacher, even if no one noticed at the White House.

Presidents sure play a part in our education!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Nancy,

And you've been a physically fit, fine tuned athlete ever since, right? All due to JFK.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

What if you had written the presidents with a laundry marker and could sew that shirttail into the quilt?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

All these years later, I wish I still had the blouse. I could have gone over the pencil names with a Pigma pen and used it for back of this quilt. But I think I got rid of that blouse as fast as I could -- destroyed the evidence.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Your story made me smile and laugh and brought back the memory of a similar episode for me. It was third grade and there was a contest for Valentine King and Queen. I was thrilled to be elected the Queen. When I got home and told my mother she was excited until she asked who I voted for and I said "myself". She was not so thrilled and gave me a good "talking-to" about it. Ah, memories, what fun!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home