Friday, March 06, 2009

Flashback Friday -- Still watching over me

Raggedy Ann, Andy, and Beloved Belinda have been watching over me almost all my life.

Of all the dolls I’ve had, these three have stayed with me all these years. They were made for me by a woman in Syracuse, New York. I always called Beloved “Belinda” even though her book name was Belindy. I don’t know why I insisted on this.

Kyra Hicks had a most interesting post about dolls today on her blog, Black Threads. It inspired me to reminisce about my personal doll family.

My mother had a small doll which she passed down to me. The poor little thing is worse for wear and must have been loved dearly by my mother. Her dress is sewn on to her so I can’t get it off to give it a wash.
The Raggedy family dolls have had their clothes washed many times and that’s why they are faded. I’ve lost Belinda’s apron and her headscarf. I should make her new ones someday when I have nothing else to do.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Treasures. I'm fascinated by the fabrics in their dresses.

Somewhere I have a two-headed doll my grandmother made me, one where the dress flips up to reveal another doll. I admire things where a great deal is made from very little.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

I love Raggedy Ann's. When ever I find one at a garage sale I have to buy it.

4:41 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I love your dolls. I used to make cloth dolls to sell. I still have my daughter's doll Sally.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

I'd love to see Sally.
Old cloth dolls seem almost like real people to me. They have personalities. Perhaps they were endowed by their makers. Do you think?

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home