Friday, August 28, 2009

Flashback Friday – Mabel Edna Tracy Creech

Mabel was my mother’s mother. She graduated from the Training School for Nurses at the Methodist Episcopal Hospital in Brooklyn, NY in 1903.

Mabel is the second from the left in the top row. I still have her nursing cap.
Mabel was born in 1879. Her mother died when she was only 11 years old in 1890. Mabel was taken under the wing of my granddad Fremont Chapin and his wife Ella. Mabel was married to Clarence Creech from the Chapin’s house. Mabel and Clarence moved to Denver, Colorado. My mother, Frances, was born in 1910. Mabel died when Frances was only five years old in 1916.
Here is where the story gets interesting. Fremont and Ella Chapin rushed to Denver to take care of Frances. Her father, Clarence, was unable to cope with raising a young girl. Fremont and Ella took Frances back to New York to raise her as they had raised her mother. The Chapins adopted Frances.
So, in a way, Frances was her mother’s “sister.” That would make Mabel my aunt as well as my grandmother because Fremont Chapin was always my granddad. I wrote about Fremont’s memories of Abraham Lincoln in January.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Gerrie said...

You have a very interesting family history. I love hearing your stories.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Love the photo. I get a sense that she was a patient, intelligent listener and observer.

5:53 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

i Love that you have photos as well as the nurse cap....awesome! you should have them framed together...along with the story, very interesting indeed! I Love your flashbacks Christine :) I havent done one in a while...ill have to dig out something fun to share!
Have a wonderful weekend~

7:21 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Nancy,
What a lovely thought. I often look at her picture and wonder what she was like. She was beautiful and my mother looked much like her. I wish I knew more about her.
Thank you.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

How beautiful & gentle Mabel looks! What a curious story, just shows how strong the family bonds were. I find family history so interesting.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love your family stories. Both my grandmother and my husband's were also named Mabel. Mine was born in 1899 and lived to be a gracious lady of 86.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home