Friday, March 12, 2010

Flashback Friday -- old ideas

Where do our “original” ideas come from? I spent my early childhood in this building at the corner of 18th and Jefferson Street in Oakland, California. It was my father’s printing plant. I sat at the feet of my father’s graphic artist, Hank, and watched him work. He leaned on his drawing board and drew with his rapidographs. I wanted to grow up and be just like Hank (or marry him). He didn’t mind my watching. He wasn’t a very talkative fellow.

The building is still there. Here is a Google street view image.

I grew up and took many graphics classes in college. I became a graphic artist, book designer, and a printer. I had my own set of rapidographs. Thanks, Hank.

The building, I realize now, had a profound influence on the other choices I made later in life. Our house, which I designed with two architect friends, has a round window. It is straight and boxy with sharp angles and a flat roof surounded by a parapet; obviously influenced by the images I formed as a child.

Ha, I thought I was so original.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

How nice that the building is still there!

1:14 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Some very interesting things to ponder. Great photos too.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I went with my mom once to the printers and watched a man place type...I didn't want to leave. That was in Oakland too. Mom worked at CCAC. [Now called California College of Arts, they dropped the 'Crafts' a few years back.] She would assemble the college catalog every year, plus all the other things she did from the Public Information office on campus.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

How very interesting! I used to watch my grandmother creating meals with love, & her influence still remains with me. I find providing food for my family a pleasing experience. I suspect my mother's thrist for knowledge has had a lifelong effect on my curiosity, and collections of trivial information- which occasionally comes in handy.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home