Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I like to eat

As strange as it seems, I’ve found that I actually enjoy cooking. I had not touched a stove for more than 30 years, and now I’m having fun thinking up recipes. This evening I had a pretty darn good chicken dinner.


This one is fairly easy to put together. The ingredients are simple.

3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/3 onion chopped up
3 stalks of celery chopped up
1 tomato cut into small pieces
Olive oil
McCormick “Perfect Pinch” original all purpose seasoning (salt-free)
Fresh ground pepper
Seasoned salt
Sour cream

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a casserole.

Sauté the onion and celery pieces in olive oil in a fry pan until the onions are limp. Sprinkle them with the all-purpose seasoning and ground pepper. Put enough on so you can see the flecks.


Add the tomato pieces and heat them for just a few minutes. Set the vegetables aside in a bowl. Put the chicken pieces in the pan juice (add more olive oil if necessary) and cook them on both sides. They don’t need to brown. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the seasoned salt.

Put a few of the vegetables in the bottom of the buttered casserole. Put the chicken thighs in the casserole and fill in around the sides with the vegetables. Put a lid on the casserole and bake it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Fresh homemade bread is good for soaking up the juices.
If you save some of this, stir some sour cream into the juices and refrigerate covered. You can heat up the leftovers in the casserole in a microwave the next day for lunch.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

That looks delicious - I'm glad you are enjoying cooking - and eating.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Sounds delish and it comforts me to know you are making good food for yourself.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Merry Christmas Christine!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Sounds very nice and tasty. You are becoming an accomplished cook!

12:00 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

I don't cook much any more (I'm looking forward to retirement someday to cook again) but I thoroughly enjoy seeing what others cook and the photos. Thanks!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home