Monday, February 14, 2011

A beautiful place to say goodbye

This lovely beach in San Diego was the site of the reception after Chad Corbin’s funeral Saturday. Our cousin was only 31 years old.

Chad lived near the beach. He was an avid surfer and he also loved playing his guitar. He graduated from U.C. Davis and was married to Carolina. He was an HR manager at a bio-tech corporation. Chad’s mother, Jamie Anne, was my husband Robert’s niece. I’d known little “Annie” even before I met Robert because she was my BFF’s niece. I married into the whole family because they were all wonderful, and I was right.

Chad’s younger brother, Drew, is in the Navy. He is stationed in San Diego right now after a two year stint in Germany and Afghanistan. It was good that Drew was nearby.

Chad died Tuesday, February 8 after a seven month struggle with stomach cancer. On Saturday many people said, “Now he is in a better place,” but it’s hard to imagine a more beautiful place than San Diego. They meant, of course, that his terrible ordeal with illness was over. See Chad’s comfort quilt here.
I am sure there must be spectacular kite surfing spots in the hereafter.

My son Davis and my two grandsons drove me down to San Diego. They were such good companions.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

a sad occasion, but it is a beautiful place. and the time spent road-trippin' with family...finestkind!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

Oh, too young — it must be so difficult for the family to wrap their minds around the loss of someone so young. My condolences to all.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

It was just a year ago that we lost my cousin, Kathy's #2 son, also named Chad in an automobile accident. He was 35. Your post really resonated with me. So odd that they had the same name. So tragic to lose such young, beautiful souls at such an early age. My condolences.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Very sad occasion, but I hope being next to the ocean was comforting.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

So sorry for your loss, my friend.

3:44 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm sorry for your loss, these things are hard to understand. Keep those memories close!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

what a sad story for such a young man...but what a beautiful place for the family to gather and share memories of a wonderful man. hugs to you and the family~

9:12 PM  
Blogger Del said...

Sending good thoughts to you and all your family. Del

12:53 AM  
Blogger WilmaNC1 said...

That is so sad. I am glad he got to be where he loved it the most.

4:15 AM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

Six years ago we unexpectedly lost our 29 year old daughter, Sarah. It is immeasurably hard to see the young pass on. But such is life....the good and the bad, the happy and sad....good memories are quite beneficial in dulling the pain of loss. Yes, I'm sure Chad fought the good fight against his cancer, willing himself to live for his family. The san Diego spot looked brilliant for his goodbye sendoff!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. Such a young person... San Diego beach is beautiful but such a shame you had to be there under such sad circumstances.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home