Saturday, July 09, 2011

A half loaf is better than . . .

. . . a whole loaf that goes stale.

I’m making two small loaves of bread nowadays. One goes to my neighbor Mary. This started a month or so ago when Mary called me on her cell phone while she was shopping at WinCo. She asked me what yeast I used for my bread. I told her “Bakipan” in a jar. She said she would buy a jar for me. I thanked her very much because I hate shopping at WinCo.

I baked a loaf of bread with the yeast using Robert’s bread recipe with my modifications (I add ¼ cup of milk to the original recipe and cut the hot water down to 1 cup.) I gave one half to Mary. A whole loaf gets stale before I can eat it all up so I was glad to share.

I looked around online for smaller bread pans (half size) but all I could find were small loaf pans. I wanted full size slices of bread for sandwiches and toast so tiny loaves were not suitable. It finally dawned on me that I could make dough for a full loaf and then cut it in half and make two balls of dough to rise in one full size pan. I put a piece of parchment paper between the two dough balls and they both did fine. I bake the bread for only 28 minutes because it seems to get brown faster.

Now my bread does not go stale before I finish the loaf. Mary likes her small loaf, too. What a deal!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sosarahsew said...

Wonderful idea for both you and Mary. My grandmother baked bread every Saturday when I was a kid. She had one double long loaf pan and always baked two loaves together the same way you are, but did not use anything separating them. I love homemade bread - now you've gone and made me hungry!

7:44 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

how kind of you to share...the bread of life!

8:04 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

That's a wonderful plan. I am going to try that for my bread - as one loaf gets stale even with the two of us - and I can freeze the other half - or find a friend to share with.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

What lovely looking bread! The Staff of Life! XX

4:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish you would post something a little less appealing than that loaf of bread. Everytime I check your blog and see it, I get hungry...

8:09 AM  
Blogger Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

How cool! In my household (daughter and her children moved home and I have a 17 year old son) a loaf of homemade bread barely lasts a day. LOL. No such thing as day old bread here!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant. I have been looking for a half-length pan for awhile now, and much like you was unable to find anything. I don't know why I didn't think of this!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home