Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ghost of a needle

"The needle is among the oldest of artifacts, and its usefulness is without question. ... Needles can be thought of as headless pins with a single eye meant to pass readily through anything from the hem of a veil to the hide of a camel, leaving behind only a thread of a clue to their presence. When fully sewn into a garment, a piece of thread can be thought of as a continuous and flexible ghost of a needle. ..."
From The Evolution of Useful Things by Henry Petroski.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Fabulous - I love the description and the thought.

I have to go look up that book now.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I will now always look at my hand quilting in a different light. Thank you.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home