Friday, December 14, 2007

Flashback Friday – Treasures Found

I received an urgent comment yesterday in response to my CONTEST. The writer said, “Get everything out of the cedar chest as quick as you can. Unless it is completely lined with acid free poster board, it is spewing acid on those beaded and vintage clothes. Cedar is great for lining closets but it should not touch the cloth.”

I took her advice and pulled out a vintage beaded dress. I’d forgotten how marvelous it was. My mother wore it in her flapper days. Here is a close up of the beading.
And, I found another treasure in the chest. I used to knit. This is a sweater I made for my oldest son from my handspun yarn in 1970. I knew the sheep that supplied the fleece: a brown one, a gray one, and a white one. My son hated the sweater. I passed it on to a friend and her son wore it for several years. She sent it back to me and I put it in the cedar chest. Memories.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Love the sweater! That sure looks WARM! Is it heavy? Someone would be happy to wear it in Alaska I bet!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Wow,that dress is a stunner, Christine! You should wear it for New Year's Eve.

And I love the sweater, too!

9:22 PM  
Blogger jpsam said...

What a fantastic dress! I remember be allergic to certain hand-made things at one point. Love your Friday Flashbacks.
joan

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Oh my gosh that dress is gorgous. And the sweater is very nice what a great keepsake especialy since you knw the sheep personally :)
Sheri

12:21 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I just love that dress!! I always said I was born in the wrong age, as I loved all the flapper styles, & haircuts, music. What a treasure.
Love the sweater too, it looks so warm.I used to knit with homespun wool, for my son.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh what a gorgeous dress!!

And that sweater... so cool. Kids, what do they know, eh?

7:41 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

The dress took my breath away. Not only is it a lovely reminder of your mother, but it's remarkable in its own right.

The sweater is amazing. I am dumbfounded at the idea of knitting something more complex than a rectangle.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Amy Munson said...

The dress is stunning.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home