Friday, April 25, 2008

Flashback Friday -- The Manly Art of Knitting

Whilst sorting though everything during our office/design/sewing studio re-do we found some old advertising posters for The Manly Art of Knitting by Dave Fougner.

We published Dave’s book in 1972. He was the husband of my son’s kindergarten teacher. He was an avid knitter and a cowboy. He made lots of beautiful sweaters and dresses for his wife and daughter.
Dave came up with several unusual projects for his book such as a hammock knit with rope on shovel handles, and a horse blanket knit on a circle made from a garden hose. The Whole Earth Catalog said that The Manly Art of Knitting was an excellent basic knitting book. We had a lot of fun with it. We sold it to Scribner’s in 1973.

Now, we see that Amazon has used copies listed for $150. I sure wish we had a few copies of the book around here.

I put one of the posters up on eBay yesterday. Search for “Manly Art of Knitting Poster” to find it.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Del said...

You have lived such a varied and fascinating life. You should write a book about yourself - or yourselves, if you include Mr. Thresh!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

A garden hose?? I am having a hard time picturing that in my head. But I can see riding a horse and knitting, for sure. [in my case it would be crocheting] I can 'see' Hoss mosein' along, headed out to the range, knittin' away.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Just found your comment about the the book on my blog (we have a copy in our public library -- I better tell the librarian to put it in the archives, if that's the going price!). I thought the knitting with hoses was the neatest thing. Did he ever publish another book?

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home