Friday, May 02, 2008

Flashback Friday -- My Dad

A birthday anniversary is a good day for remembering someone we loved.
I wish I could tell my dad about my new toy. I am sure he would think it is really neat. It is a Flip Video Ultra. (Click on the picture for more information.)
I found reels (probably 20) of 8-mm film while cleaning and sorting for the sewing studio/office/design area. They are the large reels – 200 feet each. My father loved taking movies and splicing them together. Aside from the usual birthdays and vacation reels, he loved to shoot mountains. Miles and miles of mountains. Because mountains don’t move and he was making a movie, he would pan slowly back and forth. Oh, so boring.

I plan to take some shots of Mt. Diablo (sunset, snow-peaked, cloud enshrouded, dawn) but not too many, and I won’t pan back and forth. My Daddy did teach me some important life lessons.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

"Oh, so boring."

You very literally gave me a chuckle.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

*smile* My dad used to shoot miles of video too, and then subject visitors (and OMG! birthday party guests) to his cinematic genius. My mom had them all converted to VHS (oops) a few years ago but we had conveniently moved on to DVD by that point. My dear sister had them put onto DVD and the entire collection, reels and reels of it, fit onto one disc. I'm a little glad to know my father never knew how small his body of work became.

We gave (13 yo) Simon that same camera for his birthday. Well, not orange, his is black. It came with the caveat that we can find our way around YouTube at least as well as he can, and just because you can (or think you can) do something doesn't mean you should, and REALLY doesn't mean you should film it. ;o)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am going to have to google this one. I mentioned in comments on D.'s blog, that my boring was watching my parents paint/sketch trees, rocks, lakes IN the mountains.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

Click on the Flip Video picture. It will take you to Amazon.com.
You can scroll down on that page and read reviews, including one video review.

1:53 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I remember having to sit through some very boring movies shot by a friend's parents. Ye gods, it seemed to take forever, & much of it seemed the same!
I have enjoyed reading your past posts I had missed.
Thankyou for your kind wishes.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home