Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Twenty nine years ago we hitched up our covered wagon

We hauled it over the hills and down to a little Delta island.
My journal entry for May 26, 1979 reads:

Tonight, I am sitting in our trailer on the Island. It was quite a day… It took us all morning to get ready to go. We had to stow lots of things away. … All the hitching seemed to be so complicated. … I must admit I was nervous about our journey. We started off slowly and stayed on back roads until we got to the Blackpoint cutoff…. Today was a hot day. There was a lot of gusty wind between Vallejo and the island. We sure were glad we had the stabilizers and anti-sway equipment…. We pulled in here about 4:00 p.m.
I like the feeling of having our very own place here. It is so nice and quiet.

We had sold our craftsman Victorian house in Santa Rosa and bought a very small lot on the island in April of 1979.
We bought the trailer so we would have a place to live while we built a new house. I’d worked out plans and made a model of a simple house. I could envision it taking form on the little lot.
Twenty nine years later I am sitting in our very real little house on the island. I still have the battered model.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I'm glad that little house works for you. That type of roof line would not be able to hand the snow loads we get around here. In fact, the snow was so deep this year that the drifts were 2 stories deep. But not at my house, thank you very much!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I'll bet it both feels like yesterday and quite some time ago. A grand adventure - what would life be without them? I'm glad this one has worked out well for you, and I hope you're feeling better.

9:50 PM  
Blogger jpsam said...

So glad you are back!
joan

10:18 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Christine your talent never ceases to amaze me, thank you!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see you back. Seeing your "covered wagon" was a blast from the past.

The Guest

5:02 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

So good to see you back.
An interesting post. We arrived in Australia, to begin our new lives in 1983. Little did we know then, but our current house was being built that same year, in preparation for our ownership all these years later.
It is not as energy efficient as your's though, sadly.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home