Wednesday, July 02, 2008

“…within reach of the average housewife.”

Our neighbor, Mary Mac, bought me a present at a yard sale for $2. It was a patented device so I did a patent search online.

Here are some of the patent drawings I found. See if you can figure out what the device is before you look at the picture of my present.

Here is how it is described in the patent: “…frame including inner and outer co-planar closely, uniformly, adjustably fitting rectangular wooden frames, the inner frame being of a rigidly integrally unyielding character, the co-planar adjustability between the inner and outer frames being provided by mitering and rigidly uniting side and end pieces of said outer frame at both ends of one of the diagonals of said outer frame, and mitering and spreadably adjustably uniting the other ends of said side and end pieces of said outer frame located at the opposite ends of the other diagonal of said outer frame, thereby facilitating the joint use of two hands to simultaneously uniformly adjust the radial peripheral spacing of the two rectangular frames, as well as the telescopic spaced correlation of said frames.”

It was invented by Virginia L. Hedrick, of Corona, CA in 1979. The patent number is: 4422251 granted in 1983.

The invention summary said, “In the first place the cost had to be low enough to be within reach of the average housewife.”
I’m going to try this thing out the next time I hand-quilt. I’ve never used a frame before. I’ve just used my lap.

Thank you Mary Mac.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I'm relieved to see that the author of the patent wasn't a spendthrift where periods are concerned. Some people use them irresponsibly, sprinkling them around willy-nilly whenever they think a sentence needs to end. It's a darned waste, if you ask me.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Sure a heck of a lot of words to describe that! Yep, When a quilter (me) hears the word "frame" the only logical conclusion is a quilt frame! Yeah! I guessed right! Please tell us how it works because I would love to own one but I've only used hoops. I can't figure out how women quilted in a quilting bee with everyone around one quilt frame. How did they do the curves and circles?

4:56 AM  
Blogger Sew Create It - Jane said...

Bargain! What a nice friend giving you that...I hope it works as well as it's been described!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

I got to use one of these when I took hand quilting lessons from Virginia's daughter.. It's a very cool frame. Easy peasy to move the quilt to get to another area.. If I did larger quilts that I was going to hand quilt, I would probably get one of these...but most of my hand quilting pieces are pretty small...
Occasionally I've seen Virginia at Road To California, stitching away...She also invented a lightweight light that you can wear like a necklace for hand quilting too...

6:36 AM  
Blogger Del said...

Virginia is well known in SCalifornia. She demos her frame at quilt shows (incl. Road) and shows how to hand quilt in a frame, making circles and other shapes - going every different direction. If you sit down at her frame with her she will help you improve your quilting stitches. I think she is amazing.

8:13 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

How interesting! Loved Tanya's comment about periods!

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home