Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Reading glasses

This is my block-a-day for September 4. I’ve had a wonderful time reading, but a frustrating time trying to design this block. The first block pattern had thirty six (36) different patches – in a 4-inch block. It didn’t work. The second foundation pattern had only twenty (20) patches. It didn’t work either. The patterns would have been suitable for wall hangings, but not for such a small format.

I scanned page 149 in the book My Life in France by Julia Child (what a splendid book). I printed the page on fabric using Epson DuraBrite ink. I wanted the text to appear in the reading eyeglass lenses. It worked

This is not a paper pieced block. It uses a machine satin stitch to outline the eyeglass frame. The lenses are cut away and novelty fabric is placed behind the openings. You could use the 4-inch glasses block for different things, for instance: “rose colored glasses,” or driving glasses with scenic fabric in the lenses.You can click on the small graphic below and print out a full size template for the glass frame embroidery to use for your own personal creation.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Now that's cute!!!!! And clever too.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

I am charmed. This is clever.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Del said...

You are a great probem solver - this is a wonderful block and has many applications. I'd have to practice satin stitching, I haven't done it for SOOO long. Del

10:25 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

What a grand idea... scenic glasses! I confess....I thought you were trying to create a stop sign....ah....so much for looking at your picture very carefully!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

This really appeals to me! I love to read. If you think laterally, you can solve any problem!

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home