Thursday, September 03, 2009

Hot, hot, hot

Yesterday, it was hot and that’s all I could think about. Where is our Delta breeze? It should be coming up the river from San Francisco Bay. My choice for yesterday’s block was easy – a Sun Rays block.

The Sun Rays block is paper pieced on a foundation for the most part. However, the sun is appliquéd in the corner after the rays are finished. I like to use glue to turn the seam allowance under. I machine stitch just outside the curved line before I turn the seam allowance over. It works very well.

You can machine-appliqué or hand-appliqué your sun in the corner. If you want to make your own 4-inch Sun Rays block, click on the small graphic below and you will go to a full-size foundation and a template for the sun. You can print out the foundation and template for your own personal use.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger black bear cabin said...

gluing the applique down with a glue stick...what a clever idea...i think ill try that next time around :) cute pattern by the way!

8:48 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

i guess i should specify that you glue the seam over...obviously you dont glue the entire piece down...or do you? :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

No, you just glue the seam turnover down. It really is a simple way to do it. I have found that sewing along the outside of the line make the fabric turn over easily. I just do one little bit at a time and push it into place with my fingernail while the glue is still "smooshy."

10:40 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Ah, another sun to shine. We need some of those!!

4:30 AM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ahh the CA sunshine - we are having some rain up here in WA.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

That is a very descriptive block! I can see the heat waves!

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home