Saturday, November 28, 2009

Still full … of gratitude

I always love Thanksgiving leftovers – turkey sandwiches, dressing with gravy, and dabs of cranberry relish. But what I love best are the long-lasting feelings of warmth and comfort. I am still savoring the conversations of the day (along with my sandwich).

Our youngest son and his wife came up to our house for the feast. Our oldest son reported that he had been roller skating with his grandson and then celebrated the day with his cousin Kenneth’s family in Santa Rosa.

It was a good thing Davis arrived at our place early Thursday because extra help was needed in the kitchen. On Wednesday, Robert had rescued our old cat, Aucuba, from an imminent fall off the back porch. He grabbed her quickly and pulled her back to safety at the last moment but his fast action apparently cracked his rib on the left side. This hampered Robert’s Thanksgiving preparations. Luckily, Davis enjoys cooking so the two men worked as a team.

Toni brought several yards of flannel to rotary cut into squares for the Linus Project quilts she is making. I was at the sewing machine finishing hemming the napkins so my large cutting board was free for her use.

Another thing I love about Thanksgiving is using family heirlooms on the table. The charm of Robert’s grandmother’s maroon Bauer bowl filled to the brim, and the blue Fiesta Ware gravy pitcher bring back memories. My favorite plates are Syracuse China “Nature Study Poppies.” We have a set of eight which my mother must have received as a wedding present in the early 1930s.

This plate is hand-painted by Harry Aitken -- Nature Study Poppies, number "5" of 40.

Here is serendipity. I bought some quilting fabric several years ago called “tres joli” from the Alexander Henry Fabrics Collection. The fabric looks as if it was inspired by the old Syracuse China Poppy plates. I had some gold striped canvas hidden away under our bed. The gold of the canvas matched the gold color in the fabric. So, I whipped up some napkins to decorate the Thanksgiving table this year.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a lovely table you set. Hope Robert's ribs are better very soon - ouuwwweeee. Sounds like a great day - and glad that kitty is ok.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Full of gratitude - and turkey!

So sorry about your husband's rib. Hope it will knit together rapidly.

4:28 PM  
Blogger black bear cabin said...

what lovely dishes...and the table setting and napkins match them beautifully! sounds like a great afternoon...hope Robert mends quickly and hope your holiday weekend was fabulous!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

Oh wish Robert well for us! I love the plates too, they go great w/ the canvas and napkins.

11:28 PM  
Blogger BrendaLou said...

I have a green Bauer bowl and a set of 8 assorted dinner plates, 6 salad plates & several saucers and a platter. These I rescued in 1985 from the trash heap...My MIL was throwing them out BEFORE she had a yard sale because she thought they were ugly. "We've had them for decades!" she said. I love them for a splash of color on the table.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Beautiful table! I love it that the men were doing the cooking while you were at the sewing machine! The proper nature of things.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Oh, how very lovey those Poppy plates are! the napkins a perfect match.
I am glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving. I tend to forget it, not having the same here, and I forget to wish all my friends who do celebrate, a Happy Thanksgiving.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home