Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Eventful day

Photographer: Manfred Werner
GNU Free Documentation License
After Judy’s funeral and burial yesterday, several family members were heading for home on the San Francisco Bay Bridge. They were on the bridge at 5:30 pm when a crossbar and rods came loose. The incident was on the westbound deck, just east of the new S-curve.

Sylvia reported to me that Catherine, Rick and Susie did get caught in the tie-up but they were far enough on the bridge that they didn't have to turn around. They told her it took about half an hour longer than their normal trip.
News reports said, “An occupant of a Ryder Truck sustained a minor injury due to shattered glass from the fallen debris. No other injuries were reported.”
(There were 300 people at Judy's funeral.)

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sophie said...

I couldn't believe it when I heard about the Bay Bridge on the news thsi morning. I remember when it was closed after the earthquake and how that sparked the ferry business–I always loved taking the ferries when I lived in the bay area . . . although I know that alternative is not going to work for everyone.

4:28 PM  
Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

So glad no one was seriously hurt - that was a disaster just waiting to happen. Bridges scare me anyway - and then stuff like this happens and I'm sure I don't like them.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Pretty scary. I've always been afraid of bridges. Judy must have been a very special person.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I will have to watch the noon news....mom and I were just talking about that earthquake the other day. She lived in Emeryville at the time, on land fill! [in our news has been a 'what if' story about a viaduct in Seattle that could collapse like the Nimitz did in Oakland.]

Glad everyone was ok!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

Glad loved ones are ok. I am not sure how I feel about funerals.
I guess we need some way of farewelling our loved ones.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I finally saw this on our news...whew that was a huge tie rod that fell!!! I couldn't picture it as something that large until I saw it, though why it would be something small off a bridge, I can't imagine either. Guess my imagination was on the fritz for this one!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home