Sunday, January 17, 2010

My faces

Joan Samuelson has been posting daily quilted faces on her Rosegarden Quilts blog. They are amazing little studies. She has been making one a day since the first of the year. Terry Grant saw them and was inspired to post some of her quilted faces on her blog – And Sew it Goes – on January 12 and January 16.

I was delighted to see the works of these two talented quilters.

I was inspired to put up some faces of my own. Four are faces I’ve made and one is a face quilt I bought through the Alzheimer’s auction run by Ami Simms. The last one is an unusual face I found on the web. You can click on the images to see them larger.

This is a portrait of our Aunt Ginnie which was auctioned to raise money for the Priority Alzheimer’s quilt auction.

This is a corn face I made for the We the People quilt in 2002.

This is a “face” quilt block without a face, but with a distinct hairdo that many people recognized as Gerrie.
This is not quite a face, but the underlying structure of one. I made this for the book cover of The Alpine Quilt by Mary Daheim. It was rejected, but I had fun doing it.

I won this quilt called “I Think My Brain is Leaking” by Marcia Middents of Tempe, Arizona through the Alzheimer’s Priority Quilt Auction.

This last one is Olympia Snowwoman of Maine. It was a giant snow woman made by the people of Bethel, Maine. To give you some idea of the size, note that the eyelashes are skis and the mouth is made from tires.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful faces - my favorite is the rick rack hair - seems that would fit me sometimes. :-)

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Marcia Middents said...

Love the faces, Christine! I remember your "Aunt Ginnie" quilt from the AAQI site. The corn face is very cool!
Marcia

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home