Monday, January 18, 2010

Who do you think you are?

If you had asked me this question a week ago I would have said, “I am a woman, an artist, a quilter, a wife, a mother, and a grandmother. I live in a fine house that I designed and we built. I have my own car and can go anywhere I want. I have friends and a close family. My health is pretty good. I am a spiritual person but I am not a member of a church. I have an adequate income.”

But last Tuesday’s earthquake in Haiti brought a new perspective. What if I was left standing all alone in the midst of total destruction with only the clothes on my back? Who would I be? Most of the “things” that I thought defined me would be gone.

UN Development Programme photo background (creative commons license)

My answer would be very different. I’d say, “I am a woman. I am a child of God. I can sew. I can write and type. I can spin wool into yarn with a drop spindle. I can weave cloth.”

Those are fundamental things. If I could find a needle and thread and some cloth I could help with clothing needs for others. If I could find a pencil and paper I could write up important messages to be sent to those who could help. If I could find some fiber I could make a crude spindle and start making yarn.

Think of yourself as standing alone in an area of utter chaos. How would you answer the question, “Who are you?”

Of course I’m not in Haiti. I am home and secure, working at my computer. We sent off a contribution to the Episcopal Relief & Development at https://www.er-d.org/donate-select.php And I’ve been praying for the people of Haiti.

I urge you to contribute Haiti relief funds to the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, or any trusted organization. Think of yourself standing alone and frightened with only the clothes on your back.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Deep thoughts. My mind has gone to Haiti so much lately - it is past unbelievable what those poor people are going through. We've donated several times - it just never seems enough.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

So true, how we define ourselves is much at the mercy of our surroundings.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Meggie said...

I have never really thought of defining myself in such terms, but I have thought often of how I would, or could, cope with disaster of such magnitude. I do not have a 'god' but I think of myself as spiritual in the sense that I believe we are all connected, and must show whatever compassion and aid we can to our fellow 'spirits'.
Your picture is a truth.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home